Messy Church At Home – John
The Good News of Jesus as told by John another friend of Jesus.
Who Is John?
He was born in Bethsaida (Galilee) and died in Ephesus
(modern day Turkey) in about 100AD. It is thought that he lived to be 93 or
94 years old. He was a Jewish fisherman whose parents were Zebedee and
Salome and he had a brother called James. Both John and James were
disciples of Jesus. His Gospel (story of Jesus) was written in Greek for Jews
and non-Jews (Gentiles) in Palestine and for Jews outside their home
country. John also wrote three letters and the book of Revelation which is
the last book of the Bible. His symbol is an eagle.
So, this can be found in St John’s Gospel which is the fourth book
in the New Testament. The word ‘gospel’ means ‘good news’. The gospel
writers Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all wrote the story of Jesus according
to how they saw it and who they were writing for. Much of John’s Gospel
was written because he was a friend of Jesus and was close to Him. Some of
it would have come from other writings of the time. The final form of the
story was written around 90-110 AD. John’s account tells especially about
Jesus’ teaching on eternal life – how we can live forever! Parables and
miracles like the ones in the other gospels are told more like stories and
teachings. John begins his story by reminding us that Jesus – The Word –
was there at the creation of the world. Chapter 1 begins ‘In the beginning
was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.’
JESUS IS GOD!
If you watch above the videos should play in a row, but if not here is the list.
- Welcome to Messy Church at Home – Messy Church 1.
- Video: Jesus turns water into wine.
- Welcome back to a new world – Messy Church 2.
- Big It Up For Jesus.
- The woman at the well- Messy Church 3.
- Video: Jesus Raises Lazarus from the Dead.
- Risen bread and people – Messy Church 4
- Song: My Lighthouse.
- Prayer shack and bye bye – Messy Church 5.
See following pages for instructions. Hopefully you will have most of the materials needed. You just need to decide which activities are suitable for the age group of your family.
How about taking some photos of your Messy session and sending them to Max@Bedhampton.church
You can download all the activities in one file here or the individual pages below.
- Do a painting (John 1:1-18)
- Make a jig saw (John 1:1-18)
- Make a wine glass (John2:1-11)
- Make a well (John 4:4-20)
- Do an experiment with water (John 6:16-21)
- Make some bread! (John 6:22-59)
- Make a game (John 11:1-44)
- Make a traffic light bookmark (John 14:6)
- Make a bunch of grapes-or a whole vine! (John 15:1-5)
- Catch some fish (John 21:1-24)
- Prayer Shack – use water
- Have fun colouring and puzzling 1
- Have fun colouring and puzzling 2
- Have fun colouring and puzzling 3
- Have fun colouring and puzzling 4
Enjoy some songs and dance before you have a munch.
Big It Up For Jesus.
My Light House.
Enjoy the bread this month.