Messy Church At Home – Matthew
The Good News of Jesus as told by Matthew another friend of Jesus.
Who Is Matthew?
It is thought he was born in Cyrene, Libya at about the same time as Jesus and that he died for his faith in Alexandria, Egypt in 68AD where he had set up the first church in Africa. He is thought to be one of Jesus’ 72 disciples who are mentioned in Luke 10 :1-17. He was a friend of Peter (the fisherman who became one of the 12 disciples close to Jesus). Also, he travelled with Paul on some of his journeys – you can read about this in the Acts of the Apostles. This is the fifth book of the New Testament and tells how the church began after Jesus had died, risen and went up to heaven. You can see that Mark was close to the action and well placed to write down the good news of Jesus. His symbol is a winged lion.
So, this can be found in St Matthew’s Gospel which is the first book in the New Testament. The word ‘gospel’ means ‘good news’. The gospel writers Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all wrote the story of Jesus according to how they saw it and who they were writing for. It seems that Mark’s gospel was probably the first to be written and much of it can also be found in Matthew and Luke. Matthew’s skill was in putting words on paper. He knew Aramaic and Greek and was the first person to compile an account of Jesus’ teaching. It was written in Hebrew. The Gospel was written from that account for the Jews. In it he emphasises the teachings that Jesus fulfils the prophecies from the Old Testament and encourages the Jews to keep the Old Testament laws as well as giving details about the life and other teachings of Jesus.full screen here.
If you watch above the videos should play in a row, but if not here is the list.
- Welcome to Messy Church at Home – Messy Church 1.
- Video: Jesus calls Matthew.
- Welcome back to the Romans – Messy Church 2.
- Won’t Worry ‘Bout A Thing.
- Craft – Flowers, rocks and Sand – Messy Church 3.
- Video: Losing sheep.
- Crafty biscuits and Prayer Shack actions – Messy Church 4
- Song: I Am A Friend Of God.
- Goodbye & Outtakes– Messy Church 5.
See following pages for instructions. Hopefully you will have most of the materials needed. You just need to decide which activities are suitable for the age group of your family.
How about taking some photos of your Messy session and sending them to Max@Bedhampton.church
You can download all the activities in one file here or the individual pages below.
- Make a family tree (Matt 1:1-17)
- Make a happiness poster (Matt 5:1-11)
- Make some happy cakes!
- Learn the Lord’s Prayer with actions (Matt 6:1-15)
- Make some flowers (Matt 6:25-34)
- An experiment – Build a house that stands up (Matth 7:24-25)
- Make a centurion’s helmet (Matt 8:5-13)
- Make an edible sheep (Matt 18:10-14)
- Prayer Shack – Make a garden (Matt 26:36-46)
- Solve a problem (Matt 28:16-20)
- Have fun colouring and puzzling
Enjoy some songs and dance before you have a munch.
Won’t Worry ‘Bout A Thing.
I Am A Friend Of God.
Happy cakes or lost sheep for you to make this month check out the pack for this month.